May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, Oh Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Where did that come from?


Several years ago when Jonathan and I were playing, he shocked me with what he said.
The above picture is not related but just a really cute picture of my sweet son. That child loves boots and mud and water!
Anyway, Jonathan and I were wrestling, one of his all-time favorite activities and one so much better suited to do with Daddy. We were wrestling and he comes out with this "I am going to leave you on the side of the road for dead!" I was so taken aback. It was quite a strong statement especially coming from a two year olds mouth. I asked him more about what he said and as we talked it through he said it was from one of our Bible stories. When we looked at the Bible story book we read at night, the story of the good Samaritian said those words nearly word for word. We then had to act out the story numerous times! He really seemed to latch on to the more violent or physical stories, such as David and Goliath, which is another one we played out quite a bit.
In thinking about the words and concepts that Jonathan has heard for the first time when reading Bible stories, like murder and hate, the Bible is certainly not dull! I really struggled reading to story of Abraham and Issac and skipped it several times. How do you explain a parent sacrificing his child to God? The concepts of obedience and trust are so huge. A true understanding of God and the salvation Christ offers us by His death on the cross is such an amazing, crazy, deep, big concept. How does one go about explaining these truths to a child? I know I am still learning how to understand God's love and certainly still working on living it out. To pass this on to Jonathan is what matters most to me. I can't imagine what it would be like to learn about Jesus for the first time as an adult when you are no longer innocent and vulnerable and teachable. It is really a wild story! I pray Jonathan continues to be open to learning more and more about the love and power and strength of the God who loves him so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment