May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, Oh Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

Sunday, January 31, 2010

From the mouth of babes

At least two years ago, Jonathan taught me a lesson that has come to mind numerous times. We were driving somewhere and I pointed out where someone we knew lived as we drove by. Then he asked where one of his friends lived and then he said "Mommy where does Noah live?" We do not know a Noah other than in the Bible so on my tongue to respond was something like, "oh Jonathan those are stories in the Bible." But thankfully something stopped me before I led him to believe those stories are merely stories like we read in other books. Those stories really happened! Those characters were real!! They had homes and neighbors and fears and worries and families their lives affected.
Since Jonathan has been to Honduras he understands a bit about other countries, so I tried to explain that Noah lived in a country far far from where we live and we wondered about what his home would have been like.
I have always believed the Bible to be truth and the stories true but it hit me then that they were real. they totally happened. David really did slay the giant even though he most likely was terrified. Mary was obedient to her Lord's request though it certainly meant scorn for her. Abraham really walked with his son with the intention of sacrificing him though he had to be sick with sorrow and wanting with everything in him to not be doing so. They were real. I want Jonathan to keep knowing they are real and to wonder details about them and most importantly to learn from them and walk in trust and obedience as the pillars of faith we read about did.

No comments:

Post a Comment