May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, Oh Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tractor Pull

Friday night we went to a truck and tractor pull. After agreeing to go, I thought about the reality of it and asked Ashley if there was any way of giving the ticket to someone else. He tried to but to no avial and so I went. Though in the time he was checking with friends, I had quite the productive evening planned while I would be home alone. I was really going to make some progress on baby stuff and blogging and cleaning and organizing and way too many thing to realistically accomplish!!

I went with plans of being very hot, hearing loud engines, enjoying the time for Jonathan's sake and experiencing some interesting people watching. I was not disppointed. Actually the Lord was very gracious to pregnant, heat-intolerant me, and the evening cooled off some and had a nice breeze. There was definately still sweating but it was tolerable. The people were quite amusing. My jeans were not nearly tight enough to really fit in!

Jonathan and I had fun learning the names of the different trucks and tractors and covering our ears when the black smoke began to roll out. We certainly inhaled a lot of smoke from fuel and from cigarettes.

I have to admit I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. I am not sure why exactly. If it is some of the idea of "when in Rome, do as the Romans" and I decided I needed to take part or be left behind by my husband and son and this oh so red neck area! Or if part of it is the deep enjoyment to be found in watching someone you love throughly enjoy something. Watching and listening to Jonathan enjoy the sounds and colors and names and power of the engines was such fun. And there is something to be said for a power that you can feel in your body as it roars by. The poor baby had to wonder what in the world was happening!!

Or perhaps it had partly to do with an appreciation for someone willing to take a chance. To risk failure in front of a crowd. To spend time and money and effort on learning and perfecting something, even if I will never understand the need to see how loud or powerful or how high off the ground one's wheels can go. But I can appreciate someone giving their all. And the love and loyalty of a daddy or a grandpa helping them learn and try and try again after defeat. I am certain there will be interests of Jonathan's that I will not fully understand, but I do get supporting him and cheering him on and helping him learn.

True to a Williams' outing, there did need to be ice cream involved. However, it came so late, Jonathan was falling asleep eating his cone on the way home. It still took some convincing to get it away from him!!


No comments:

Post a Comment