May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, Oh Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

Sunday, June 13, 2010

It has happened

Do not tell Ashley. Or my Mom. For very different reasons.



But the unthinkable happened. I actually felt the desire to have a gun with me.

Never did I think such a thing would happen. Look what Tennessee has done to me!!


How has this happened? Several things lead to such an occurance. A few weeks ago, Ashley was
gone all day and late at a class. Jonathan and I were outside and saw a rather large snake slither across the driveway. It was black and too big and too close for comfort. Pepper, our dog, went to examine it and the snake hissed and coiled up and stood up like a cobra. (I am fully aware it was not a cobra but just needed to help get the visual across.) Jonathan got all wound up and was finding hoes to chop the snake with and other materials to catch or kill the creature. We then watched it slither up the side of a tree!! Yes, right up the side of a tree we walk under all the time. It really bothered me. I decided maybe I could shoot it. So we went back in the house and my five year old helped me figure out which was a shotgun and then what bullets this gun would use. Yes, I was even further disturbed! It took me so long to figure out how to load the thing that when we got back, we could not find the snake in the tree. I am not sure if I would have had the nerve to shoot at it anyway. Ashley did make me shoot that gun the next day "just in case."
A week or so later, Jonathan and I were walking with Pepper and went a direction we do not normally go. We were walking past a house when this collie type dog came running out barking. She headed straight for Pepper who went crazy and yanked the leash out of my hand. I was trying to hold a crying and screaming Jonathan and get a hold of the leash again while the two dogs snarled and bit at each other. I was scared to try to get in the middle too much. We tried to get away but anytime Pepper would move the other dog would bite at her and attack her. I was scared and not sure what to do. We got a bit down the road very slowly with poor Pepper terrified. The owner eventually came out. She was an elderly lady walking with a cane. She tried to yell at her dog to come but the dog refused. She tried to hit her dog with her cane but nothing helped. Eventually she started to walk back to her house and told us good luck and to be careful. I was quite shocked! I had actually remembered to bring my phone with me and so I gave Ashley he call. About 15 minutes later he came roaring up and jumped out of his truck with his gun and shot near the dog just to scare it and it went yelping off. He was our hero(as he was yesterday when he got the AC fixed!!) I would never have shot the dog but had thought if I had a gun perhaps I could have used it to scare the dog. We have not walked that far in that direction again!
Ashley and Jonathan love to shoot at turtles in our ponds. We were walking again the other day and we saw a huge turtle in the ditch. Now I have nothing against turtles though Ashley said they eat a fish a day and that his is reason for shooting them. But something came over me and I thought it would be fun to try to hit that turtle. It hissed at us so I felt no kind connection to it! Plus I would have loved to see Jonathan's reacton and pride had I shot at it.

Now, I am not sure if I will ever actually carry a gun. But I am leaning a bit more to becoming more familiar with one and being proficient enough to use one if need be. Ashley would be so proud! I can't have my five year old talking me through me protecting him from a snake!!

No comments:

Post a Comment