May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, Oh Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

Thursday, March 8, 2012

A different street

I read something the other day that really struck me. I read it on Beth Moore's blog blog.lproof.org

Her sister is an alocoholic and is sharing her story. Very moving. She shared something she
read. Autobiography in Five Short Chapters by Portia Nelson

Chapter 1:
I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in. I am lost. I am helpless. It isn't my fault. It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter 2:
I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I don't see it. I fall in again. I can't believe I am in this same place. But it isnt my fault. It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter 3:
I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it there. I fall in....it's a habit...but my eyes are open. I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately.

Chapter 4:
I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it.

Chapter 5:
I walk down a different street.

I like the hope. I like the change. I like the awakening. I like the acceptance of responsiblity. Not sure why it resonated with me. Maybe to make me face the more "socially acceptable" addictions or struggles I have.

Now to face them and chose a different street.

No comments:

Post a Comment